Plastic-Free Beauty Swaps to Revolutionise Your Routine
If you’re striving for a more sustainable, plastic-free lifestyle, your beauty routine is a good starting point. Your beauty bag can be the biggest culprit for single-use plastic products and the impact of these products over a lifetime is enormous.
What is Plastic-Free July?
Plastic-Free July is a global movement that encourages us to avoid single-use plastics for the whole of July (and beyond, if you’re up for it!).
Plastic is versatile, cheap to produce, extremely durable and long-lasting. However, its durability is also what makes it one of our biggest environmental challenges. Plastic is now one of the most used materials in our everyday lives, and the sheer volume of waste generated is overwhelming.
Unfortunately, a significant amount ends up in landfills where it can pollute our waterways and oceans and wreak havoc on wildlife and the environment.
The main aim of Plastic-free July is to raise awareness about the astronomical amounts of plastic waste generated daily and to motivate everyone to challenge themselves, change their habits, and consider more eco-friendly options.
How does joining in Plastic-Free July make a difference?
By opting for plastic-free products, you’re directly reducing the demand for new plastic. Less demand means fewer resources used, less energy consumed, and ultimately, less plastic ending up in our landfills and oceans.
Choosing reusable items supports a circular economy. This approach values resources by keeping products and materials in use for as long as possible.
Plastic-Free July challenges you to form new habits, making it easier to continue them beyond July and make a long-term reduction in your plastic consumption.
When you start making changes, you inspire others to do the same. Your actions can create a ripple effect, leading to a more widespread reduction in plastic usage.
Where should you start with your plastic-free journey?
Start with the basics. The beauty of Plastic-Free July is its simplicity. It’s about small, achievable changes you can make in your everyday life. It’s not about perfection, but making better choices whenever possible. Every piece of plastic you refuse or reuse is one less damaging to our beautiful planet.
Together, we can drive significant changes in our consumption habits and move towards a more sustainable world.
Our top 10 beauty swaps to kick-start your plastic-free journey
The scale of plastic waste produced by our daily beauty routines is staggering. It’s easy to feel powerless in the fight against it, but there are some simple swaps you can make to embrace a more sustainable lifestyle.
You don’t need to revamp your entire beauty routine overnight. Introduce swaps gradually as your existing products run out. A step-by-step approach will make your journey smoother and more manageable.
2. Try solid deodorants from We Love The Planet or Ben & Anna. Vegan-friendly, cruelty-free and without harmful aluminium, they’re easy to use, convenient to carry around and have fully recyclable packaging.
3. Say goodbye to synthetic sponges. LoofCo’s body loofahs are made from sustainable loofah plants and are 100% biodegradable. Soap pouches make great alternatives to shower puffs, scrunchies and exfoliating gloves too.
4. Switch to soap bars such as Friendly Soap’s facial bars. Full of natural goodness, they cleanse and nourish your skin while protecting our oceans from plastic pollution. Hope’s Relief’s soap-free cleansing bar is ideal for dry, itchy skin and sensitive skin.
5. Use toothpaste tablets or powders from Ben & Anna or Georganics. In zero-waste, glass or paper packaging, these alternatives to traditional toothpaste are equally effective at keeping your teeth white and your breath fresh, but without leaving any plastic waste behind. Plus they’re travel-friendly too!
7. Convert to bamboo toothbrushes. WooBamboo’s range of toothbrushes with biodegradable bamboo handles are a simple swap that will reduce your everyday plastic usage.
8. Opt for reusable make up remover pads. Ditch the disposable cotton rounds and opt for washable pads that you can use multiple times, such as Beauty Kitchen’s Large Reusable Cleansing Pads.
9. Refill your mascara. With reusable packaging, you can simply refill your mascara when it runs out instead of buying a new one.
Remember, the journey towards a sustainable beauty routine is a marathon, not a sprint. Embrace and enjoy every small step you take, knowing each makes a difference. With brands like Beauty Kitchen, Ben & Anna, Ethique, Friendly Soap, Lamazuna, LoofCo and We Love The Planet at your fingertips, your path towards a plastic-free beauty routine has never been clearer.
Other ways to embrace a plastic-free lifestyle
Sustainability goes beyond just swapping out your beauty products. Here are a few ways that can make your whole lifestyle even greener:
- Take a reusable bag when you shop for an easy and effective way to reduce your plastic waste.
- Invest in a reusable water bottle and coffee cup to save money and help the environment. Some coffee shops will even reward you for taking your own!
- Choose bamboo whenever you can. From toilet rolls to toothbrushes, bamboo is incredibly versatile and highly sustainable due to its rapid growth rate and ability to regenerate after being harvested.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. The heart of sustainability lies in these three Rs. Always ask whether you need a new product, find ways to reuse what you already have, and recycle wherever possible.
- Composting organic waste helps reduce landfill waste and creates nutrient-rich soil. If you have a garden, composting is a fantastic way to dispose of food scraps.
- Conserve water and reduce your water footprint. Take shorter showers, turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, and opt for water-saving appliances.
- Walk, cycle or take public transport when you can to reduce your carbon footprint. It’s a great way to get some daily exercise too!
- Enjoy more plant-based foods for a healthier diet that’s also kinder to the planet.